more yum problems

Chuck Campbell campbell at accelinc.com
Thu May 6 21:56:53 UTC 2004

yum found that my kernel is out of date, and I wanted to let it do the
update for me.  I did:

[root at helium root]# yum update kernel*
Server: ATrpms stable for rhl 9
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - Base
Server: Dag APT Repository
Server: Freshrpms packages for Red Hat Linux 9
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[install: kernel 2.4.20-31.9.i686]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!

tons of snipped messages saying /var is out of space

I killed the yum process, cleaned up /var moved my /var/cache to a disk
with lots of space and symlinked /var/cache to that.

I reran this:

[root at helium root]# yum update kernel*
Server: ATrpms stable for rhl 9
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - Base
Server: Dag APT Repository
Server: Freshrpms packages for Red Hat Linux 9
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[install: kernel 2.4.20-31.9.i686]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!
kernel 100 % done 1/1
Kernel Updated/Installed, checking for bootloader
No bootloader found, Cannot configure kernel, continuing.
Installed:  kernel 2.4.20-31.9.i686
Transaction(s) Complete

Given this message, I'm afraid to reboot to the new kernel, even though the
/boot looks ok (all appropos files and links are there.

How do I tell if my bootloader is really gone, and if so, put it back
before I reboot this new kernel?

-chuck