split screen in talk

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 10 16:46:42 UTC 2004

Steve Larsen wrote:
> Hello Install List,
>
> I have talkd installed and it seems to run .. but not in a split screen
> mode.
> When I type " talk user " and the user replies, we seem to be typing over
> each others words and no "split screen" shows up. This is not the behavior
> I remember from using this years ago. Some information on the system is
> included below.
>
>     rpm -qa talk*
>     talk-0.17-12
>     talk-server-0.17-12
>     =========
>
>     netstat -l
>     Active Internet connections (only servers)
>     Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
>     State
>     udp        0      0 *:talk
>     *:*
>     udp        0      0 *:ntalk
>     *:*
>     =========
>     Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
>     Kernel 2.4.18-3 on an i686
>     =========
>     service talk
>     {
>             disable                 = no
>             socket_type             = dgram
>             wait                    = yes
>             user                    = nobody
>             group                   = tty
>             server                  = /usr/sbin/in.talkd
>     }
>
> My initial thoughts are that this version of talk is too old? Does
> anyone have
> any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Check your "TERM" environment variable.  Your terminal must be able to
do split screen (addressable cursor, etc.).  Works for me.

You really should do some updates. 2.4.18-3 is the original kernel for
7.3 and it's bloody ancient.  The latest is 2.4.20-31.7legacy.
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -