DCHP, Router, DSL, redhat9 problem.

Scott Taylor scott at dctchambers.com
Mon May 10 23:03:02 UTC 2004

Jen said:
> Hi there,

> So basically:
>
> *Wireless Router is set to be a DHC server
> *NIC w/DHCP - doesn't initialize during boot and can't get to the
> internet.

Check for errors in /var/log files.  Probably can not find a DHCP server,
in which case, check cabling and config of your DHCP server.  No, your NIC
will not init if it is expecting DHCP and doesn't find it.  Maybe a bad
NIC, bad cable or bad DHCP server, at this point.

> *NIC with 10.0.01 Will initialize, but still can't get to the internet.

Why would you use 10.0.0.1?  On what subnet?

What is the local IP of your router?

What is your default gateway?

> *If I install another Linux version such as Mandrake, the defualt works
> perfectly, so I do not think this is a NIC or Router Problem.

The default DHCP on most new Linux distros will work, even RH9 and Fedora
too.

> I believe that pings don't work with either configuration - I will have to
> double check on this though.

Ping can't work if the two devices are not configured properly.  If ping
doesn't work, either your firewall blocks it, with is not a good practice
before you get your network to work, or your network is miss-wired or
miss-configured.

--
Scott