lets talk about talk ... ?

Steve Larsen slarsen at opengearbox.com
Tue May 11 21:25:17 UTC 2004

Hello Install List,

I have talkd installed and it seems to run .. but not in a split screen mode.
When I type " talk user " and the user replies, we seem to be typing over
each others words and no "split screen" shows up. This is not the behavior
I remember from using this years ago. Some information on the system is
included below.
rpm -qa talk*
talk-0.17-12
talk-server-0.17-12
=========

netstat -l
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
udp        0      0
*:talk                  *:*
udp        0      0
*:ntalk                 *:*
=========
Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
Kernel 2.4.18-3 on an i686
=========
service talk
{
         disable                 = no
         socket_type             = dgram
         wait                    = yes
         user                    = nobody
         group                   = tty
         server                  = /usr/sbin/in.talkd
}
My initial thoughts are that this version of talk is too old? Does anyone have
any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Steve Larsen
slarsen at opengearbox.com