New Server on RH8.0

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 14 17:24:17 UTC 2004

Karl Perason wrote:
> <quote who="Karl Perason">
>
>>Issue 1: email out of the system goes out (as this one will so I hope
>>y'all get it) as being from the entire hostname rather than just the
>>domain.
>

> I seem to have fixed this with a rebuild of sendmail.cw using m4 after
> adding a Cw line...

I was just going to suggest that...

>>Issue 2: Clamav 1.3: if I upgrade to Clamav 1.5, will I be able to have
>>email scanned on the way in without jumping through as many hoops? RPM
>>version available for 1.3. RPM for 1.5 yet? (being lazy there...)

1.3?  ClamAV's current release is 0.70.  That being said, if you're
running clamd and scanning via clamav-milter, yes.  Any incoming stuff
is run through clamAV if you're using that.  As for RPMs, I dunno.  I
don't use them myself as they typically lag behind the releases too
much.  I'm a tarball-build-install kind of guy.

>>Issue 3: clamav has an option for --mbox for email scanning, but if the
>>--remove switch is used, it removes the entire raw email file, not just
>>the virus infected email. Any ideas there?

Remember that an "mbox" is one file.  clamscan doesn't pull it apart,
purge the infection and put it back together--it deletes the _file_
(which happens to be "mbox").  For the "--remove" to only delete the
infected message, you need to be scanning a MailDir-style mail account.

Note that ClamAV 0.70 no longer has clamscan.  It has clamdscan, which
is a client for clamd.  It doesn't support the "--mbox" option.  You
must have "ScanMail" option set in clamd.conf for that to work.
-              Death is nature's way of dropping carrier             -