New Server on RH8.0

Andrew Kelly akelly at transparency.org
Mon May 17 07:54:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 02:32, Karl Perason wrote:
> <quote who="Rick Stevens">
> >
> > 1.3?  ClamAV's current release is 0.70.  That being said, if you're
> > running clamd and scanning via clamav-milter, yes.  Any incoming stuff
> > is run through clamAV if you're using that.  As for RPMs, I dunno.  I
> > don't use them myself as they typically lag behind the releases too
> > much.  I'm a tarball-build-install kind of guy.
>
> Duh. 0.65-4 currently. I've been an rpm guy so I can see what's there by
> doing rpm -qa|grep whatever
>
> I'll get the .70 so I can install milter and have it run stdin for email
> scanning. Is there a better option out there?

Well, IMHO yes, there is, but it's not quite identical to your setup.
It's called AMaViS, (www.amavis.org) and comes in 4 'flavors'. I use
and can highly recommend amavisd-new (www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/),
written by Mark Martinec.
It works with you MTA to filter mail of viruses and/or spam, and you can
dial it in to some pretty fine levels. It doesn't do the scanning
itself, but calls externals to do all the work. Your MTA just hands it
raw mail and gets back 'clean' mail, either through a milter-app, or by
running parallel MTAs.
It's brilliant and I can't praise it enough. I only run it to scan for
viruses, but most also use it to run spamassassin.
It works very well with clamd, but you're not limited to it. In fact I
have it call 5 separate AV products.
It scales well and is used on ISP and enterprise level deployments, and
has a support base equal to or better than list list here.

There are also some killer contrib apps that make the world even better,
like Robert LeBlanc's  Maia Mailguard for quarantine management.

Check out the amavis.org web site for general info, and Mark's
amavisd-new site for specifics on his leg. It all really rocks.

Andy