Redhat ES Patches

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold friz at godshell.com
Mon May 17 17:40:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 12:00, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Rolling your own RPMs is not difficult, but it's not trivial.  If you
> intend to do it, take a look at the RPM site (http://www.rpm.org) and
> maybe think about getting one of the published RPM books such as
> "Maximum RPM".

Maximum RPM is a bit out of date, I highly recommend the RedHat RPM
Guide by Eric Foster-Johnson ...  Excellent book, helped me out a lot
...  Rolling RPM's is easier now, and fun too :)

For those that want to try rolling your own ...  I highly suggest using
any existing source RPM's as examples...  This is especially true when
creating an RPM for a perl module..  Just use the source from an
existing perl module from redhat and replace all the important bits with
your own ... makes rolling the RPM much faster and painless...  But, of
course, be sure you understand what the RPM was doing originally!  :)

> Edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and add a line like:
>
> 	dir my-homebrewed-rpms /usr/local/devel/RPMS/
>
> to add a "directory"-style repository.

Hrm.. yeah, I can give that a shot...  That, presumably, works across
NFS mounts as well?  That would make life easier...

It would be REALLY nice if I could handle all of that through the RHN
site, but I guess that's asking too much ..  :)

Thanks for the info!

> -      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -
---------------------------
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
Engine / Technology Programmer
friz at godshell.com
RedHat Certified - RHCE # 803004140609871
MySQL Pro Certified - ID# 207171862
MySQL Core Certified - ID# 205982910
"Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone
and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the
source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the
Tao of Programming."