Emulation

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 18 17:02:02 UTC 2004

Pedro Morales wrote:
> thanks for the answers, using vnware at college now,
> tho my goal was running windows programs in linux or
> at least learn if a shell is doable to run a windows
> program under linux without emulating, but I'll keep
> looking =)

There is no way to run a Windows program under Linux without _some_
form of emulation.  You must either run WINE (an emulation layer),
Win4Lin (run a real copy of Windows as a task under Linux) or vmware
(run a real copy of Windows in a separate virtual machine).  Windows
and Linux are RADICALLY different beasts.  You can't expect a part
for a Ferrari to fit a Chevy, can you?

> wine looks good, so ill keep checking that.

WINE is limited.  It works for most business-related programs (such as
Microsoft Office and the like), but it won't run most games, video or
sound editing software or a lot of utilities.  Anything that needs fast
access to the hardware or uses DirectX will probably have problems.
-      I won't rise to the occasion, but I'll slide over to it.      -