tape drive.

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 19 19:55:02 UTC 2004

Francisco Ruiz wrote:
> My back up software will not continue when the fist tape is full on to the
> second tape drive.  My tech guy had me change some setting and the device
> name.  The device name was changed to this (/dev/ttyrSp0 -f /dev/rStp1) in
> the back up software.  What does this mean (/dev/rStp0 -f /dev/rStp1)?
> Anyone?

What software are you talking about?  I don't recognize any of those
names as tape drives.  The tape drives themselves are "/dev/st0x"
through "/dev/st31x" (the "x" indicating various block sizes and
densities), and their non-auto-rewind versions "/dev/nst0x" through
"/dev/nst31x".  The names you have may be symlinks to those various
drives.

Without knowing what software you're running, I can't help.  The
standard tar command supports a "-M" (multivolume) option to indicate
that the backup can span multiple tapes.  Along with that is the
"-F script-name" option which names a script that should be run when the
end-of-tape is hit (using "-F" implies "-M").  You should have similar
options in your backup software.
-     Try to look unimportant.  The bad guys may be low on ammo.     -