perlmagick

James Jones jam at gsu.edu
Wed May 19 20:23:02 UTC 2004

That was the trick! Thanks a lot! I'll have to make a note to make sure
the XFree86-devel package is installed to make that manually compile
correctly (still wish RH would get that package back). Thanks again!

James Jones
Manager, Information Technology Services
GSU College of Law
jam at gsu.edu

James Jones wrote:
> Apparently, perlmagick is NOT part of RH ES v.3. ImageMagick and
> ImageMagick-c++ are. In fact they are version 5.5.6 (not v6.x). I've
> tried everything to just manually compile this but I keep getting a
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Image/Magick/Magick.so] Error 1
>
> Anybody know if this package is comming back? (ImageMagick-perl)
>
> This is so frustrating as I rely on this package and this upgrade
from
> RH 9  to RH ES v3 has become a major downgrade with it's subset of
> packages as compared to  RH 7,8 & 9. I can deal with the other stuff
> missing but not this one. I'm desperate and I either need to get an
RPM
> or just get this to compile.

I just dealt with ImageMagick on a 7.3 server for a client, but that
one had old libpng, libgd and other issues.  Took me a while.

The error you mention indicates that you don't have the XFree86
development system installed.  You must make sure you have the
"XFree86-devel" RPM installed.  Grab your CDs, find the one that has
that RPM on it, put the CD in and:

	rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/XFree86-devel*.rpm

By the way, the latest ImageMagick is 5.5.7 (according to their
website).
-     There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who    -
-                 understand binary and those who don't              -
redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com