FW: Kickstart partition woes

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 24 17:25:56 UTC 2004

Gordon McDowall wrote:
> Hi
>
> I recently sent the following email to the general Redhat list but got no
> reply, I was hoping that someone on this list might be able to help
> out...please!
>
> I am currently trying to upgrade a server from Redhat 7.2 to Redhat
> Enterprise 3.0, the server is running raid and I would like to keep the
> /home partition intact and basically do a full install on the remaining /
> /boot and /var partitions.   When I try the install it always errors out
> with the error "unable to locate raid device None for /home" but as far as I
> can see the partition section of the kickstart file is fine, does anyone
> have any suggestions as to what may be the issue.
> Here is a copy of the partition section of the ks.cfg file
>
> #Disk partitioning information
> part raid.01 --onpart sda1
> part raid.03 --onpart sda2
> part swap --onpart sda3
> part raid.05 --onpart sda6 --noformat
> part raid.07 --onpart sda5
> part raid.02 --onpart sdb1
> part raid.04 --onpart sdb2
> part swap --onpart sdb3
> part raid.06 --onpart sdb6 --noformat
> part raid.08 --onpart sdb5
> raid /boot --level=1 --device=md0 --fstype ext2 raid.01 raid.02
> raid / --level=1 --device=md1 --fstype ext3 raid.03 raid.04
> raid /var --level=1 --device=md2 --fstype ext3 raid.07 raid.08
> raid /home --level=1 --device=md3 --fstype ext3 --noformat raid.05 raid.06
>

> Thanks, any suggestions appreciated

So, this is a software RAID?  Which device is /home on under 7.2?  From
your ks.cfg file, I'm guessing it's md3 (raid 05/raid 06).

I'm not at all certain you can do an upgrade from 7.2 to ES3 on software
RAID without reformatting.  First, that's one hell of a gear change
(jumping three major releases)  Second, the mechanisms used to support
software RAID changed quite a bit over that time.  I think you're going
to have to back up /home to some media somewhere and let the system
format /home to get past that.

Wish I could help more.
-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -