LILO and Zone Alarm

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 25 16:40:16 UTC 2004

Jon Glueckstein wrote:
> I have an IBM Aptiva 2198-80U.  It is set up to dual boot Red Hat 6.1
> and Windows 98 using LILO.
>
> Today I installed Zone Alarm (the free version) for the windows side of
> things.  When it rebooted after installation, I got to the point where
> LILO should run, and it hung after typing the letters "LI".  It does
> that every time I boot now.
>
> I have booted with both unix and windows floppies and tried poking
> around, but I'm not smart enough to figure out what's gone wrong.  Can
> anybody help me?

6.1?  That's over three years dead!  Why are you still running that?

Anyway, "LI" indicates that the first stage boot loader successfully
loaded the second stage loader but couldn't run it.  This is normally
caused by a geometry mismatch or by moving the /boot/boot.b file
without rerunning lilo.  You'll need to boot off the floppy first.
Thenk verify that /boot/boot.b exists.  If it's not in /boot, find
it and modify your /etc/lilo.conf file's "install=" line to reflect
where it actually is.  Then rerun lilo.

And you _really_ should think about updating your Linux.  6.1 is
ancient, creaky, full of security holes and not supported anymore by
anyone.  Heck, it's still a 2.2 kernel even!  Fedora Core 2 is using
the 2.6 kernel.
-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -