RH9-Apache 2.0.49 installation

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 26 16:11:14 UTC 2004

RH Newbie wrote:
> Hi all..
>             I've installed RH9 and I wish to install Apache 2.0.49. When
> i tried upgrading the apache-2.0.40, that had come with RH9
> distribution, i got so much of depency errors. When i tried solving one,
> so many new dependency errors cropped up. So i've uninstalled the
> apache-2.0.40 rpm installations with nodeps option. I've also
> uninstalled the dependent rpms like mod_perl, mod_python, etc. I got the
> compatible versions of all the dependent rpms for Apache-2.0.49 and i've
> installed it successfully. But now, when i try to start the http service
> i'm getting the following error.
>
> /# service httpd start
> Starting httpd: /usr/sbin/httpd: relocation error:
> /usr/lib/libapr-0.so.0: symbol sys_siglist, version GLIBC_2.3.3 not
> defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference/
>
>  FYI i've given the details of some of the dependent packages...
>
> /httpd-2.0.49-1
> httpd-devel-2.0.49-1
> apr-0.9.3-14/
> /apr-devel-0.9.3-14
> apr-util-0.9.3-10
> apr-util-devel-0.9.3-10/
> /glibc-2.3.2-11.9
> glibc-devel-2.3.2-11.9
> glibc-common-2.3.2-11.9
> glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.10/
> /db4-4.1.25-14
> db4-devel-4.1.25-14/
> /webalizer-2.01_10-11
> /
> I'm totally struck now, and i donot know where i've gone wrong or what
> i've to do now to resolve this error. I would be happy if some could
> suggest me a solution
>
> Thanx in advance

You can't just "--nodeps" an install.  The dependencies are there for
a reason as you have found out.  The binary RPM was built with the
expectation that specific libraries and modules are in place--that's why
there's a dependency list.  "--nodeps" is intended to resolve _circular_
dependencies (where "a" needs "b" to be installed and "b" needs "a"
and you haven't specified "a" and "b" on the same command line).

If don't want to update/install the dependencies, then you must either
a) install the apache source RPM, tweak the config and makefiles
yourself and build it, or b) get the source tarball from apache.org and
do the same thing.
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -