FW: Kickstart partition woes

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 26 17:46:03 UTC 2004

Gordon McDowall wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Rick, it is looking more and more like I'm going to
> have to do the partitioning manually, I can still use kickstart and just
> delete the partition section, kickstart then drops you into the manual
> partitioning where I can then label the raid devices accordingly before
> kickstart takes over again.
> Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

As I said, I'm sorry I couldn't help more.  The only kickstarts we do
here are fresh installs on certain clients' redundant machines, where
we have kickstart disks unique to each client.

Our clients typically use hardware RAID because the systems can't afford
to spend the CPU cycles on software RAID.  One client pumps 85Mbps/sec
out the network on each system--and there's 12 load-balanced systems
involved.  That's over 1 Gbps total and that's just one of their eight
server farms.

Since the hardware RAID systems present the RAID as a physical drive
(/dev/sda, etc.), kickstart handles it no differently than a standard
drive.  As a result, I've not had to deal with software RAID issues too
often.  Ah, well.
-            The gene pool could use a little chlorine.              -