Antique computers (was Re: LILO and Zone Alarm)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 26 19:39:39 UTC 2004

Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:51:01AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>mylar wrote:

>>>Yeah, I started with an early version of Redhat (2.0 I think) running
>>>one of the early monolithic  1.X kernels on that 166 Pentium. I
>>>gradually upgraded to redhat 3.0 then 5.2 then 6.0  where it's stayed
>>>since.
>>>
>>>Way back when I was pretty adepts in running the Vax systems we had in
>>>college and I was interested in acquiring a MicroVAX running Vax/VMS for
>>>my at home computing interests. Unfortunately as a  college student I
>>>couldn't afford such fancy high end computing equipment.
>>>
>>>I'd still like to acquire a PDP-11
>>
>>I've got an old MicroPDP-11 (well, LSI-11) at home that runs (gulp!)
>>RSTS/E, RSX-11M/Plus, and RT-11/XM.  And somewhere in the deep, deep
>>recesses of my horde is a (get ready!) PDP-8!  Yes, a 12-bit computer!
>>Weird! I dunno if it works now or not.  It did when I mothballed it
>>20-odd years ago.  I had WPS-8 on it (a three-user word processor).
>

> Gadzooks!  In 1970, I did my (Univ. of Okla.) senior project on a
> PDP-8L.  Rocker switches and TeleType ASR-33 to load the boot loader,
> then it would load the OS from a high-speed optical paper tape reader.

Well, mine was a little newer.  Had a version of ODT on PROM, then
booted off the hard drive (an RM80, all of 128MB on a 14" fixed
platter).  WPS-8 wanted VT52 terminals (or a VT100 in VT52 mode with a
funky keyboard).

>>Ah, memories! ;-)
>

> Indeed.

Don't get me started with my other stuff:

Data General:	Nova 2/10, Eclipse Nova, Aviion
Xerox:		Sigma/7
IBM:		S/360/370, S/32, 5100, 5150/60/70 (IBM PC/XT/AT)
Burroughs:	B2700, M3200
DEC:		VAX-11, PDP-11 (various flavors of each)
Tandem:		NonStop-II
HP:		2100, 21MX, Pa/RISC
Apollo:		Various flavors prior to the buy-out by HP
SGI:		Almost anything with IRIX on it
Sun:		Sun 1, 2, 3, 4 (just about everything they've made)
Commodore:	Amiga (lots of those!)
Intel 8080/5:	Darned near every micro made in the 70s and 80s
Intex x86:	Again, you name it, I've seen it
Bitslicers:	Lots and lots of those custom beasties

There are some I've left out and some I'm sure I've just flat forgotten.
A lot of it was due to a prevailing mindset at the various firms I've
worked for:

	Q:  "What the hell is that thing?"
	A:  "I dunno.  Let's make Rick handle it!"
	Me: "Why, you dirty little %#$@#$%#@@!!"

-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -