Antique computers (was Re: LILO and Zone Alarm)

Andrew Kelly akelly at transparency.org
Thu May 27 06:53:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 20:38, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:51:01AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > mylar wrote:

> > >Yeah, I started with an early version of Redhat (2.0 I think) running
> > >one of the early monolithic  1.X kernels on that 166 Pentium. I
> > >gradually upgraded to redhat 3.0 then 5.2 then 6.0  where it's stayed
> > >since.
> > >
> > >Way back when I was pretty adepts in running the Vax systems we had in
> > >college and I was interested in acquiring a MicroVAX running Vax/VMS for
> > >my at home computing interests. Unfortunately as a  college student I
> > >couldn't afford such fancy high end computing equipment.
> > >
> > >I'd still like to acquire a PDP-11
> >
> > I've got an old MicroPDP-11 (well, LSI-11) at home that runs (gulp!)
> > RSTS/E, RSX-11M/Plus, and RT-11/XM.  And somewhere in the deep, deep
> > recesses of my horde is a (get ready!) PDP-8!  Yes, a 12-bit computer!
> > Weird! I dunno if it works now or not.  It did when I mothballed it
> > 20-odd years ago.  I had WPS-8 on it (a three-user word processor).
>
> Gadzooks!  In 1970, I did my (Univ. of Okla.) senior project on a
> PDP-8L.  Rocker switches and TeleType ASR-33 to load the boot loader,
> then it would load the OS from a high-speed optical paper tape reader.
>
> > Ah, memories! ;-)
>
> Indeed.

This is fun!

It's kind of like going to NASA and hearing how some of the old hands
used to track lunar movement by throwing goat entrails into a defoliated
yew tree and timing the descent of the tail feathers dropped by the
magpies that were frightened off.

Nurse, another leach, quickly! This man's sweetbreads are full of demons!

Andy
(sorry, debugging all night, not a pretty sight)