RH equivalent to winipcfg?

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sun May 30 22:09:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 11:17:29AM -0700, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> Is there an equivalent to winipcfg (or whatever it's called) for RH8 and
> RH9? I'd like to (easily) see what DHCP has assigned to this machine. I'm
> sure it's buried in the docs somewhere, but I don't know where.

You're in a gui state of mind.

This is linux.
There is no native linux command that does what you want.

You can cheat and use the distro specififc "redhat-config-network"
command.  This will give you a point and click gooeey program
that you can browse to find the info you want, except for the mac
address.

You must be root to invoke this from the command line.

This won't help you on any other distro.

What you really want to do is develop an uinderstanding of what commands
and files like ifconfig, /etc/hosts /etc/resolv.conf, and etc... yada
yada do on UNIX and UNIX-like systems.

Oh yeah - don't mix the use of the gui tool and the direct editing of
the system config files.  Use only one or the other.

(Disclaimer - the above info only valid thru RH 7.2, after that anything
could be happening, but is likely to be similar).

--
Jeff Kinz,  Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"jkinz at kinz.org" is copyright 2004.