RH equivalent to winipcfg?

Dennis Calhoun dcalhoun at blomand.net
Mon May 31 04:44:16 UTC 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:33:22 -0700, you wrote:

> [...]

Yes, but while it is true that Winipcfg is launched from a command
line (Windows 9x), it does provide information and functions via a GUI
window. For Windows NT/2000/XP there is ipconfig, which provides the
same basic information and functions, but is strictly command line
based, terminal interface display completely.

>And ifconfig on linux will give you essentially the same info.
>RedHat 9

To get to the real point of my message....
in windows it is relatively clear as to what "ipconfig" represents.
That being Windows Internet Protocol Configuration. And yes, in Linux,
ifconfig is basically the same thing. But....

In Linux, what does the "if" in ifconfig represent? Just a little
curiosity of mine.

Dennis C.