strange Problem with Monitor on RH 9

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Nov 1 21:58:06 UTC 2004

othma El Moulat wrote:
> thanks Mark for your interest ...
> I will proceed by elimination through the steps you specified in your reply...
> 1.i's not a matter of electromagnetic interference...i don't have any
> electronic device near my Machine...
> 2.Yes my windoz box is running fine i don't have this problem if i boot into
> my windoz box...
> 3.what are the parameters that i should verify in the bios ?
> 6.here is what i got when i run startx:
>
> Fatal server error:
> Server is already active for display 0
>         If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
>         and start again.
>

> When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> the full server output, not just the last messages.
> Please report problems to xfree86 at xfree86.org.

If the machine died the first time, you may indeed have a lock file that
will prevent X from running.  Boot the machine as normal.  If X doesn't
start up, hold down the ALT and CTRL keys and hit F12.  Then hit
"ALT-F1".  You should get a console prompt.  Log in as the root user and
enter these commands:

	telinit 3
	rm -f /tmp/.X0-lock

Then reboot the system.  X should come back up.
-   "I was remembering the immortal words of Socrates when he said,  -
-   'I drank what?'"                 -- Val Kilmer in "Real Genius"  -