[final] ActionTEC 701wg

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sun Nov 14 02:51:30 UTC 2004

> karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:

>>>Thanks for the update, Karl.  So it is a routing issue in the firmware,
>>>eh?  And they've known for 2 years?  Sheesh!  That'd put them at the
>>>arse-end of my vendor list!
>>

>> After calling Qwest, I now have a Cisco 678 DSL (DMT capable)
>> router/modem
>> which Qwest sent UPS Next Day Air. And, it's FREE. Okay, the price of
>> the
>> ActionTec ($60). It's refurbished.
>>
>> Funny thing. After my phone call from Qwest with this solution, I got
>> another call from Qwest; different state senior support. This guy told
>> me
>> how I could use the ActionTec anyway, with the use of the DMZ feature.
>> Of
>> course, if you visit the setup page, it warns about doing that because
>> of
>> major security risks. I have multiple ports open on my server, which is
>> safely behind my hardware firewall and has been safe for about 9 years
>> that way.
>>
>> But, the 678 is doing fine and setup was a breeze because hey, I know
>> Cisco.
>
> Glad to hear you got it sorted out.  Actiontec should be heavily
> chastised for not fixing a known bug in 2 years.  They sure won't be
> getting my business anytime soon.

Believe me, I was pretty forceful in my verbal chastisement. Keep in mind
I have managed support teams and understand this arena very well. I was
not like a ranting maniac. I didn't raise my voice but made my points.
They failed. Qwest didn't. I was and am very impressed with how Qwest
handled this whole thing.

Karl Pearson
karlp at ourldsfamily.com