error message

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Nov 15 17:17:26 UTC 2004

wang wrote:
> Rick,
> Thank you very much for your advise.
> I will take care to write correct letters from now.

That's OK, Owen.  It's just that it confuses a number of different mail
client programs and messes up the formatting of your message in some cases.

On this list at least, we prefer bottom posting (put your comments
AFTER what you're commenting on as I have done) done in regular ASCII
with 72-character lines and with no HTML code or attachments.

> There is no LBA mode in BIOS of Intel S875WP1-E
> motherboard. I don't know why.

Hmmmm.  That's odd.  Perhaps it's called something else (large disk
support, maybe?).

> If there is other way to fix this problem, please advise.

Again, I don't think it's a critical thing.  grub and lilo can both
handle the "odd" disks.  The most common problem with "inconsistent"
partition tables is that Windows doesn't enforce track boundries on
partitions, whereas Linux does.  Linux can deal with odd tables, but
you won't be able to create partitions that don't start or end on
track boundries and will lose some (not a lot) of your usable drive
space (the space between where a Windows partition ends and the end of
the track).

Again, it's not critical, just something you should be aware of.

> Thank you again.
> Owen.
>

>>wang wrote:
>>
>>>When I install Red Hat 9.0,
>>>I got an error message as following.
>>
>>First, please post in plain ASCII.  Turn off any fancy fonts you may
>>have.
>>
>>Second, there is no such thing as Red Hat 9.0, just Red Hat 9.
>>

>>>============error message from Red Hat===============
>>>The partition table on /dev/sda is inconsistent. There are
>>>many reasons why this might be the case. Often, the reason
>>>is that linux detected the BIOS geometry incorrectly. However,
>>>this does not appear to be the case here. It is safe to ignore
>>>but ignoring may cause(fixable) problems with some boot loaders,
>>>and may cause problems with FAT file systems. Using LBA is
>>>recommended.
>>>==================================================
>>>
>>>Does sombody know how to fix it?
>>>
>>>I use Intel S875WP1-E motherboard with newest version of BIOS
>>>and newest version of Serial ATA driver.
>>>I have 300GB x 4 Hard Drives, and use Raid 10 to configure them.
>>
>>If the RAID 10 (RAID is in all capitals as it's an acronym) is done in
>>BIOS or hardware, make sure you set up the BIOS to use LBA mode.  I
>>wouldn't worry about this message--especially if some form of Windows
>>is already installed.  Windows will do odd things to the partition
>>tables on occasion.  Linux handles it OK.

-  Silence!  Or I shall replace you with a very small shell script!  -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -