Samba setup on RH8.0

Jared L. Black jaybee at bendcable.com
Tue Nov 16 21:38:02 UTC 2004

I need some help with my network and getting samba to work.  My home
network (hardwired) consists of an XP laptop (jblaptop) an old win98
machine (pavillion), my wife's Dell Dimension (dimension) and a
workstation running RH8.0.  All machines are networked except the linux
box.  I want the linux box connected so the analysis work I do on it can
be easily sent to the laptop where I do all my report writing, printing
and emailing (my transfer method now is by USB Thumbdrive).

My internet setup has a cable modem connecting to a netgear 4 port
router, which connects to each machine.  I installed samba (3.0.8) and
it seems to be working, but the names and addresses are out of whack.  I
can see the localhost on each windows machine but can't connect to it.
I don't know the command for connecting to the windows machines from the
linux box.

I can access the netgear router with a web browser with the either the
URL netgear or http://192.168.0.1.

A guy tried to set up the network, but couldn't finish it.  One thing he
did was set the lmhosts file to:
127.0.0.1 localhost

Also he set the hosts file to:
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost

192.168.0.1             netgear
192.168.0.2             laptop
192.168.0.4             pavillion       hp

The two comment lines have me spooked; I don't know why he did that.

I added 2 lines which are

192.168.0.3             server
192.168.0.5             dimension

The Samba-Guide says the hosts file should have the line
192.168.1.1             server

I didn't put it in because it seemed that the netgear router already had
an address similar to that (192.168.0.1).

When I do a
smbclient -L localhost -U%

I get
        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        winxp           Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.8)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.8)
Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.8]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        DIMENSION            Patti's PC
        LOCALHOST            Samba 3.0.8

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        HOME                 DIMENSION

The smb.conf file (based on Samba-Guide) is
[global]
       workgroup = HOME
       security = SHARE
[winxp]
       path = /winxp
       read only = Yes
       guest ok = Yes

I know there are inconsistencies in the setup, but I don't know what to
fix.  Hopefully some one can help.

My goal is to simply be able to send files back and forth.
Jared Black