PHP Source files

roger at audiblefaith.com roger at audiblefaith.com
Thu Nov 18 18:35:45 UTC 2004

>The primary problem you have is that the PHP development RPM contains
>virtually all of the things PHP can do (essentially, the "./configure"
>part of the build has everything turned on), hence the need for all of
>the "-devel" RPMs.

I actually did go through and modify the ./configure section of the .spec file and removed things I don't need such as Postgres, but it still required the postgres devel RPM. Odd...

>I'm not clear as to why you're doing a source install unless you need to
>tweak PHP in some manner.  For most folk, the normal binary RPMs are
>adequate.  Red Hat/Fedora/whoever are kind enough to build binary RPMs
>containing various various capabilities of PHP in bite-sized chunks so
>you don't have to install the whole lot.  The same is true of the Perl
>RPMs and several others.

There are functions I need that are not included in the default RPM for redhat. Really I should have installed PHP from source initially rather than the RPM route and will for future builds, but I'm proceeding using this as a learning experience for me with the whole RPM system.

Thanks for the help, I should have this set later this afternoon.

Roger