Samba setup on RH8.0

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Nov 18 18:00:26 UTC 2004

Jared L. Black wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 13:38, Jared L. Black wrote:
>
>>I need some help with my network and getting samba to work.  My home
>>network (hardwired) consists of an XP laptop (jblaptop) an old win98
>>machine (pavillion), my wife's Dell Dimension (dimension) and a
>>workstation running RH8.0.  All machines are networked except the linux
>>box.  I want the linux box connected so the analysis work I do on it can
>>be easily sent to the laptop where I do all my report writing, printing
>>and emailing (my transfer method now is by USB Thumbdrive).
>>
>>My internet setup has a cable modem connecting to a netgear 4 port
>>router, which connects to each machine.  I installed samba (3.0.8) and
>>it seems to be working, but the names and addresses are out of whack.  I
>>can see the localhost on each windows machine but can't connect to it.
>>I don't know the command for connecting to the windows machines from the
>>linux box.
>>
>>I can access the netgear router with a web browser with the either the
>>URL netgear or http://192.168.0.1.
>>
>>A guy tried to set up the network, but couldn't finish it.  One thing he
>>did was set the lmhosts file to:
>>127.0.0.1 localhost
>>
>>Also he set the hosts file to:
>># Do not remove the following line, or various programs
>># that require network functionality will fail.
>>127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
>>
>>192.168.0.1             netgear
>>192.168.0.2             laptop
>>192.168.0.4             pavillion       hp
>>
>>The two comment lines have me spooked; I don't know why he did that.
>>
>>I added 2 lines which are
>>
>>192.168.0.3             server
>>192.168.0.5             dimension
>>
>>The Samba-Guide says the hosts file should have the line
>>192.168.1.1             server
>>
>>I didn't put it in because it seemed that the netgear router already had
>>an address similar to that (192.168.0.1).
>>
>>When I do a
>>smbclient -L localhost -U%
>>
>>I get
>>        Sharename       Type      Comment
>>        ---------       ----      -------
>>        winxp           Disk
>>        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.8)
>>        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.8)
>>Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.8]
>>
>>        Server               Comment
>>        ---------            -------
>>        DIMENSION            Patti's PC
>>        LOCALHOST            Samba 3.0.8
>>
>>        Workgroup            Master
>>        ---------            -------
>>        HOME                 DIMENSION
>>
>>The smb.conf file (based on Samba-Guide) is
>>[global]
>>       workgroup = HOME
>>       security = SHARE
>>[winxp]
>>       path = /winxp
>>       read only = Yes
>>       guest ok = Yes
>>
>>I know there are inconsistencies in the setup, but I don't know what to
>>fix.  Hopefully some one can help.

> [...]

No, we weren't ignoring you, Jared.  I've been a bit busy and haven't
been watching the list too closely.

I seem to recall your smb.conf was a bit sketchy.  If I recall, you
intended to use share security.  Did you create the appropriate users
in Linux to match what's going on in Windows and did you create the
smbpasswd file?

The easiest way to administer samba is to use swat.  Run "service swat
start", then point your web browser to "http://localhost:901".  Once
you log in as the root user with the root user's password, you'll be
given a GUI that you can manage the whole thing.  The on-line help is
good and can explain a lot of stuff.  When you're done, disable swat
by running "service swat stop" (you don't want outsiders to get at your
swat config) or you can set up iptables to block outside incoming
access to port 901 and leave swat running.  It's up to you (I tend to
stop swat when not using it).

I also recommend you get a copy of the O'Reilly book "Using Samba" by
Eckstein, Collier-Brown and Kelly.  I consider it essential for Samba
users--especially when you start using domain security or a Windows
PDC for authentication.
-          Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.           -