In trouble with Wireless installation - Dlink DWL-G510

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 20:51:50 UTC 2004

Hi,
   This is the second time I'm writing this email. The first time I
was in the middle of doing an ndiswrapper install and the modprobe
step hung the system so I lost all the info. You are spared from
reading the long version.

   Basically I planned on buying a wireless PCI card recommended by
the ndiswrapper forums and getting it installed before my son came
home from school and needed his PC. So much for plans... I purchased a
DLink DWL-G510 as it was recommended as working fine on a few pages.
The card is installed and I'm trying to get ndiswrapper running, but
everytime I try to modprobe the drive Fedora completely hangs. No way
to get back to the console. No way to log in remotely. Help!

   OK, first thing is so much for DLink being consistent. My card
seems to have a different chipset than the other ones listed online.
This one is Atheros:

00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc.: Unknown
device 001a (rev 01)

00:10.0 Class 0200: 168c:001a (rev 01)

Unfortunately I brought it home, put it in the PC only to find that
there is no info on the net I could find that shows anyone has tried
this card. Bummer.

   Here's what's on the windows CDROM:

[root at wizard root]# cd /mnt/cdrom/Drivers/Drivers/
[root at wizard Drivers]# ls -al
total 839
dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root   2048 Sep  2 02:23 .
dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root   2048 Sep  2 02:23 ..
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 396224 Jul 28 03:04 A3AB9x.sys
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root   8747 Aug 11 02:09 A3AB.cat
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 396192 Jul 28 03:02 A3AB.sys
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  24576 Jan 27  2003 DWLInst.dll
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  11088 Apr  1  2003 DWLNdi.dll
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  16433 Jul 28 03:21 NetA3AB.inf
[root at wizard Drivers]#

I installed ndiswrapper but got warnign messages that are senseless.
Since they are just warnings I proceeded:

[root at wizard Drivers]# ndiswrapper -i NetA3AB.inf
Installing neta3ab
Warning: Cannot locate
Warning: Cannot locate
Warning: Cannot locate
Warning: Cannot locate
Warning: Cannot locate
[root at wizard Drivers]#

According to my understanding this shows things went OK, correct?

[root at wizard Drivers]# ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
neta3ab driver present, hardware present
[root at wizard Drivers]#

So far this looks good, right? So the next step is to modprobe ndiswrapper:

[root at wizard Drivers]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nls_utf8                1536  1
udf                    72068  0
parport_pc             19520  1
lp                      8236  0
parport                30536  2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4                13828  0
sunrpc                113380  1
iptable_filter          2176  0
ip_tables              14208  1 iptable_filter
tulip                  36896  0
floppy                 48080  0
sg                     28320  0
scsi_mod               93392  1 sg
microcode               4896  0
dm_mod                 33056  0
uhci_hcd               24856  0
ohci_hcd               16528  0
ipv6                  193760  12
ext3                  104552  2
jbd                    44568  1 ext3
[root at wizard Drivers]# modprobe ndiswrapper

At this point the machine is totally hung. Ctrl-C will not release
this modprobe command. I cannot shell in from a second xterm on this
machine:

flash mark $ ssh -X -Y -C -c blowfish -l mark 192.168.10.5
ssh: connect to host 192.168.10.5 port 22: No route to host
flash mark $

The only way out it a power cycle with fsck, etc.

Help! Am I hosed, or is there somethign else I can try?

Thanks in advance,
Mark