RPMBuild error

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Nov 18 22:43:28 UTC 2004

roger at audiblefaith.com wrote:
>>>I have installed everything that were listed as dependancies (after chasing a few dependancy chains). Now when I do an rpmbuild it runs for quite a while, but then fails with:
>>>
>>>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>>>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>>make[1]: *** [php] Error 1
>>>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/php-4.2.2/build-cgi'
>>>make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>>error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.47783 (%build)
>>>

>>>RPM build errors:
>>>    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.47783 (%build)
>>>
>>>Anyone know what packages is needed for -lgcc_s?
>

>>libgcc:
>

> Dandy, and if package libgcc-3.2.2-5 is already installed? Do I need an updated libgcc? Recommendations?

Gee, hmmm.  I was looking at an FC1 system.  Lessee...no, libgcc is the
RPM that supplies it on RH7.3 so I guess it's the same for you.  Try

	ls /lib/libgcc_s*

and see if that library actually exists on your system.  If not, you may
need to install a different RPM, but which one it would be I don't know.
If it does exist, you may need to do an "ldconfig -v" and watch the
output to see if the library gets processed.
-  Time: Nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.  -