Will Nvu work in RedHat 9

Charles R. Dennett dennett at rochester.rr.com
Sat Nov 20 01:04:05 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Ah.  I usually download to /usr/download, move tarballs, etc. to
> /usr/xxx and build from there.

This is morphing into a different thread, but here's what I do.  In a
past life I was a sys admin for a bunch of Sun systems but got
downsized.  We'd install the OS on a single partition, but maybe put
/var on its own partition depending on what the system was for.
/usr/local would either be its own partition or be an NFS mount from a
server.  I implemented that method when I put together my own Linux
server at home, except that /usr/local is not a separate partition.  I
download other software such as RPMs and tarballs or whatever to a
separate partition called /space1/Software.  Software that does not
automatically install itself in /usr/local or /usr I will usually
install in /usr/XXX or /usr/local/XXX  For example, nvu is installed in
/usr/nvu.40.  Then I have a link at /usr/local/bin/nvu that points to
/usr/nvu.40/nvu.  I do something similar with firefox and thunderbird.
They are in /usr/firefox and /usr/thunderbird. The use of links in
/usr/local/bin means I don't have to keep adding lots of other
directories to my path.  /usr/local/bin is already there.  I can install
a new version is a different directory, flip the link, and test out the
new stuff without losing the old.

Hmm.  This machine is dual boot but I can't remember the last time I
used windows.  Have no more use for it.  I should reuse the old 10 gig
windows partition for /usr/local to keep my software separate from the
rest of RH9.

Charlie