Samba setup on RH8.0

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sat Nov 20 01:15:20 UTC 2004

Jared L. Black wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 10:23, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Jared L. Black wrote:

>>>My distribution disks have only samba-2.2.5-10, samba-client-2.2.5-10
>>>and samba-common-2.2.5-10.  I don't see a samba-swat listed.
>>>
>>>The samba suite I installed was samba-8.0.1, which downloaded.  I just
>>>now downloaded the samba-swat-8.0.1 version and did an install, but it
>>>failed because I don't have libcrypto.so.4 and libssl.so.4.  Am I having
>>>problems because I've mixed versions?
>>
>>It's possible.  Which Red Hat or Fedora are you using?
>

> I bought a Dell Precision 340 last year with RedHat 8.0 pre-installed.
> The kernel is 2.4.20-18.8

Well, that's an old kernel and 8.0 is not being actively supported by
anyone (not even Fedora Legacy).  I'd really suggest an upgrade to
(at least) RH9 or, if you have the courage, FC2.

I do have some much later samba RPMs (from the last days before 8.0
support was dropped).  I'll make them available on the RHIL server.
Hit this URL:

	ftp://ftp.rhil.net/pub/Misc

All four are there (samba, samba-client, samba-common AND samba-swat).
-   Errors have occurred. We won't tell you where or why.  We have   -
-                         lazy programmers.                          -