sound card detection problem

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 16:44:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 07:34:25 -0800 (PST), vijay nair
<rvijaynair2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear sir,
> Recently I  installed red hat 9 in my PC.
> My mother board is intel 865GBF. There is a problem in sound card
> detection.Message shows "sound card not detected". Kindly advice me in this
> regard.
> Thanking you
>  Vijayakumar

Vijaykumar,
   Hi. No one named 'sir' here. We're all just friends.

   The first step is to know what's in your system. Please post the output of

lspci

and we'll look at the sound card or chip in your system. I.e.:

<SNIP>
0000:00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP150
AC'97 Audio Controller
<SNIP>

You can also just try the program alsaconf (as root) and see if it
discovers the sound chip.

Good luck,
Mark