rc3.d scripts not executing on boot

jdyke jdyke at azimapower.com
Mon Nov 22 13:41:34 UTC 2004

Hello.

This was seen after a power outage hardboot on RedHat9  Some scripts were not
executed in the rc3.d directory.  Namely httpd and mysql.server.
The linking is:
S96httpd -> ../init.d/httpd
S98mysql -> ../init.d/mysql.server

The permissions of both are the same as their counterparts that are getting
called. I can use the scripts themselves to to start|stop|restart etc without
fail or warning, but it looks like they are not being touched when the machine
boots up. For a test i copied these scripts to a RedHat 8 box and rebooted the
machine and they get executed on boot.  Another test...i ran `shutdown -r now',
to see if for some reason they would get executed on a clean restart, but did not.

a tail of boot.log shows
Nov 22 09:26:50 **** xinetd: xinetd startup succeeded
Nov 22 09:26:51 **** sendmail: sendmail startup succeeded
Nov 22 09:26:51 **** sendmail: sm-client startup succeeded
Nov 22 09:26:51 **** gpm: gpm startup succeeded
Nov 22 09:26:52 **** crond: crond startup succeeded
Nov 22 09:26:53 **** cups: cupsd startup succeeded
Nov 22 09:26:53 **** xfs: xfs startup succeeded
Nov 22 09:26:53 **** anacron: anacron startup succeeded
Nov 22 09:26:53 **** atd: atd startup succeeded

I noticed that most of these were linked in just about every rc*.d directory.
Is that what i should do for httpd and mysqld?  This is a quasi production box
so i'd like to limit my number of reboot tests :)

Is there any other logs that would be useful to look?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Jeff