Seagate STT3401A on FC2

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Nov 22 20:57:13 UTC 2004

Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 09:53:59AM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>>
>>><among other things>
>>>
>>>Here's an interesting thing about my tape.  After a reboot, an attempt
>>>to back up to it results in a failure like "device busy" or some
>>>such, but the next and all following work fine.  When I upgraded to
>>>FC2, I think that problem went away.  I don't recall.  I don't reboot
>>>that much. :-)
>>
>>Yes, IDE tapes are normally "/dev/htx" or "/dev/nhtx".  SCSI tapes are
>>"/dev/stx" and "/dev/nstx".
>>
>>Bob, you might try "mt -i /dev/ht0 rewoffl" first (rewind and eject).
>

> Umm, perhaps you meant "mt -f /dev/ht0 rewoffl"?  The man page doesn't
> document a "-i" option.

Yeah, "-f".  Sorry, I've been doing "ping -i" a lot the last few days
and have "-i" on the brain.

And if I could only get Paul McCartney's "Jet" out of my head now...
(never listen to a "King Biscuit Flour Hour" episode late at night)

>>Sometimes that initializes the drive adequately to prevent such
>>issues.
>
> Cool.  I'll give it a try.

Not promising anything, but it's worked for me on some picky old DAT
and QIC drives in the past.
-           Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.            -