Red Hat 9.0 Questions

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Nov 30 17:56:43 UTC 2004

chris reyes wrote:
> I'm a newbie in RHLinux 9.0.  I've read some materials that Linux
> surpasses Windows NT Server in functionality and in so many ways...
>
> Question 1:
> How do you configure RH Linux 9 to be a domain controller?

You change configurations in the samba server.  The easiest way to do
it is to use the "swat" GUI tool.

> Question 2:
> What will i configure/enable for my RH Linux 9.0 to play video CD like
> WIndows Media Player?

Yes and no.  Windows media files requires Windows codecs.  You can
either fetch them off a Windows CD or google search for them.  There are
some free versions.

> Question 3:
> How do I make use of my CDRW on my Linux machine?

Once you configure your CDRW into the kernel, whenever you pop a blank
CD into the drive, a window will open that allows you to drop files onto
it.  Or you can master a CD and burn it.  RH9 comes with two GUI CD
mastering programs, xcdroast and gtoaster.  You can also use those or a
command-line program (cdrecord) to burn existing ISO images to CD or
erase a CDRW.

> Question 4:
> I have configured SAMBA in workgroup settings and i've noticed that
> when a Windows client access a shared folder in the linux machine, it
> takes about 45 seconds to 1 minute for the "network Neighborhodd" to
> display shared items in the Linux server.

That's a normal Windows thing.  Even pure Windows networks often take
time to notice a new client or server on the network.

> WHat will i do to improve the network shared resources browsing speed?

Not much.  The DC is responsible for setting up the browsing on the
network.  Once the server is up and noticed by the DC, browsing should
be quite quick.  It is the peering nature of Windows that causes this
behaviour.
-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -