X windows

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Oct 1 17:15:52 UTC 2004

Celine Neo wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to configure X windows. I have modify the
> Xaccess, xdm-config and etc files. I even configured
> the firewall to allow port 177. But I still can't
> connect to my linux using X-Win 3.2.
>
> Can someone tell where is wrong?

Are you sure X works at all?  Does it work on the local console?  Can
you access the machine at all over the network?

We also need to know SPECIFICALLY what's not working.  What error
messages are you getting?  What does /var/log/messages on the Linux
machine say?  What does /var/log/XFree86.0.log (RH or FC1) or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log (FC2) say?

Remember, gang, if you want help, please be specific.  Just saying
"it doesn't work" is no help.  That's like saying "my car is broken"
to your mechanic.  It may be true, but it's singularly ineffective in
helping to isolate the problem.
-          "How does that damned three seashell thing work?"         -
-                           - Sylvester Stallone, "Demolition Man"   -