Dual booting Windows 2K with RH Enterprise Workstation v3

Silverrod silverrod at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 20:37:25 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Mark Knecht
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 11:49 AM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: Dual booting Windows 2K with RH Enterprise Workstation v3

Rod,
   Hi. I'm likely to not be that much help. I use System Commander to
kick off my boot process so dual booting is a bit different for me.
That said, maybe some of this will help:

	What is System Commander and where can I find out more about it

1) A Linux installation is really sort of 2 pieces - Linux itself
(possibly spread over multiple partitions and disk drives) and a boot
loader. I presume that you used grub. (Maybe LILO though? Is that
what's meant by boot.ini? I haven't used LILO in a long time, and it
won't matter for what I might say here...I think...)

	I used Disk Druid because that is what came up when I selected the
manual installation method instead of the automatic option which I think
uses LiLo.  Boot.ini is a file inside of W2K that is intended to
allow/facilitate dual booting. I used it because it was suggested in some of
the reading I have done of dual booting.

2) It's clear that you believe you installed Linux on the second hard
drive, but it's not so clear where the boot loader whet. where do you
think it is?

	Per instructions in RHEW installation guide I created a 100 Megabyte
partition at the very beginning of the new drive. During the installation
Disk Druid ask where you want the boot file to go. I pointed to the above
drive and partition.  I can not confirm if it got there or not because W2K
explorer will not acknowledge that that partition exists after it is
formatted for Linux. I can't open it to see what's in there if anything.

3) Windows is the same in terms of the OS and a boot loader. However
Windows boot loader must reside on the first hard drive seen by BIOS.
As understand things it cannot work itit was to be in the seond drive.

	The SATA drive is the first one seen by the BIOS and I have not
placed any Linux stuff there except the pointer in the boot.ini.  I may have
a problem here!

4) No matter what you have on your system, the only boot loaders
youhave a chance of using are ones that can be seen by BIOS, so this
changes a bit from system to system, but usually it's jsut the first
hard drive.

	Otto has said essentially the same thing. I don't know how to get it
there.  Can you help with this? Remember that Linux doesn't recognizes the
SATA hard drive.

   I'm sort of guessing here that when you installed Linux that
possibly grub or LILO partially installed on the frist drive and
what's happening is windows boot loader is messed up and needs to be
reinstalled. I believe this can be done from your Windows rescue disk.
(You have one, right?)

	Windows rescue disk?????????

   I may be wrong about all of this and how it applies to your system.
Take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck,
Mark

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com