OT - Protecting kids who use Linux

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Tue Oct 5 18:11:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 10:45:10AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>    However, my wife and I feel we want and need to know what he's
> doing, what he's looking at,who he's talking to, etc. All the normal
> parental responsibilities. We don't want to be overbearing about it,
> but we know it's something we need to be careful about.
>
>    How do we do this? I'm using Linux. My wife is switching to Linux
> in the next few months. The only OS my son has had in his room is
> Linux. I understand how to 'configure' his machine remotely, but I
> don't know how to keep him safe while still letting him have fun and
> do what he wants to do within reason.
>
>    I did some very simple, basic searches for things like 'netnanny &&
> Linux' but came up empty.

Squid and dansgardian(sp?) - its what some libraries use.   Open Source
Its free, I beleive there are "forbidden" sites lists available for
download, free as well, and I beleibve there are some different levels
of "protection" available based on who compiles the list.

--
Linux/Open Source.  Now all your base belongs to you, for free.