OT - Protecting kids who use Linux

Steve Larsen rolandsdad at opengearbox.com
Tue Oct 5 21:56:49 UTC 2004

My wife and I pondered this one for sometime .. we spent a few bucks
and bought a cisco router with a pix firewall and learned how to program
in addresses and then put a proxy server on the inside ... configured that
and our son is only allowed to connect to the proxy server .. the router
not allow him to make outside requests .. if he gets past the pix .. I am
sure cisco will want to talk to him about a Q&A job.

See when it comes to children .. money shouldn't be a issue. You sure
as heck wouldn't give your kids a car without seat belts. So apply that same
mentality to Internet access. Then come to the conclusion that their friends
mom and dad aren't very bright Internet users, or just don't give a rip,
and your
children will see "stuff" you don't want them to. All you can do is .. what you
can .. and cope with the rest as best you can.

Steve Larsen
rolandsdad at opengearbox.com