Ethernet interface solved

Kenneth Tindle ktindle at uky.edu
Tue Oct 5 22:52:54 UTC 2004

Oh joy!  It works!!!

Bob McClure Jr <robertmcclure at earthlink.net> said:

 >I don't know how it's used (Rick Stevens or Jeff Kinz may be able to
 >explain), but look in /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/.
 >There's an ifcfg-eth0 you may need to change.

Yep.  How's about blowing it away?  Then the blasted static IP
(which lived there) *finally* exited stage left.  I think this
might be some detritus left by redhat-config-network...

Thanks be to Bob.  Oh, and-

Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> said:

 >You may wish to delete the "GATEWAY=" in /etc/sysconfig/network if the
 >DHCP server gives you a gateway to use.

Indeed. It was a problem.  Had to config this, then forgot to throw it
away.

 >Optional things that should work:
 >       HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  (MAC address of the card)
 >       TYPE=wireless  or  TYPE=ethernet

Not sure how optional these params really are, when you have three
interfaces!  I used both TYPE and HWADDR (which seems to use nameif)
and many ruffled feathers were soothed.  Thanks to Rick for the syntax
and the pointer.

 >Basically, what I'm saying is that the device is probably now "wlan0"

Well, no, not this time.  But you can't read minds, Rick, so chill!
FYI, I have a Cisco Aironet PCI-352 in this box, which DOES use eth0.
The drivers "airo" and "airo_cs" depend upon the "acu" utility that
gets dumped into /opt/cisco/bin, which lets you config all the
wonderful wireless params that are normally handled with wireless
kernel extensions and iwconfig in the user land.  Note that this is
prettier, but requires X.  AND you must get (*exactly*) libgtkmm
1.2.10 AND libsigc 1.0.4!  Anyhow, this is what you must do to
make the "genuine" Cisco 2.1 driver and utility set work.

Praise be, to problems solved, and let me not forget- Bob and Rick,
who know their stuff.

Cheers.