Another YP question

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Wed Oct 6 20:58:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 01:43:59PM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> >"At this point, make sure that /etc/passwd and /etc/group have
> >been edited so that when the NIS is activated, the data bases you
> >have just created will be used, instead of the /etc ASCII files."
> >
> >What do I need to do to guarantee this.  I've read something about a
> >"+::" entry, but not sure how to implement it.  How do I test it to
> >verify it is working?
>
> Well, the last line of /etc/passwd should be:
>
> 	+:*:0:0:::
>
> ("plus-colon-splat-colon-zero-colon-zero-colon-colon-colon").  A similar
> line should be at the end of /etc/shadow and /etc/group.

This shouldn't be necessary for NIS clients; my RH8.0, 9, and FC2 clients
all lack this line and work fine.

> You must also make sure your /etc/nsswitch.conf file includes NIS:
>
> passwd:     files nis nisplus
> shadow:     files nis nisplus
> group:      files nis nisplus

This is far more likely to make it work.

> ("nisplus" can also be written "nis+")

...but unless you have a NIS+ network, there's no real point in putting it
in.

> Only to someone who speaks NIS.  ;-)  I'd recommend you get the dreaded
> O'Reilly "sloth" book ("Managing NFS and NIS") if you're going to do a
> lot with NIS/NIS+.  It's a handy reference.

An excellent reference.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: