Another YP question

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Wed Oct 6 21:11:31 UTC 2004

Ok.. I'll go deeper.

We are currently testing AS3.0 for using it as a NIS Master among other
things.

It would greatly decomplicate our lives, scripts, etc. if we could use
the /etc/passwd, etc. files instead of having to use a
/etc/passwd.mydomain.  One advantage is, would be to can some of our
home grown tools and use the built in GUI's.

The problem is, we want to control access to the NIS Master, but since
everyone would be in /etc/passwd, they would be able to login to it.

I was wondering if we parked the +:*:0:0::: in the middle of the passwd
file would the OS stop reading it at that point and go to NIS.  I would
assume it would work (I don't know if NIS would like it), and if it
doesn't, then how do I know that flag is even working in the first
place? (am I making sense?)

The other option I've considered is change the order to "nis files", so
that netgroups would handle the permissions, and "hopefully" if NIS
died, the system would look at the local files for authentication.

Or do you see other ways around this?