Another YP question

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Wed Oct 6 21:40:24 UTC 2004

<snip>
> As I said, if you DON'T use the pure /etc files as the basis
> of your NIS server's NIS maps and instead use copies (see
> "man ypserv.conf"), you can separate the NIS logins from
> local logins on the NIS server.

Which is doable, except that we would like to be able to use COTS user
and group management tools.  So the question becomes, can redhat's user
manager be easily altered to support, say a /nisusers/passwd, group, and
shadow?  The GUI is nice, because it requires less training to create
accounts.

Otherwise, I see us having to rewrite or continue using in house built
tools, which costs more in the long run than the COTS stuff.

Thanks,
Travis.