known good PCI wireless NICs for FC2

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Oct 6 23:42:27 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>    Is there a 'tested hardware' page for FC2 that would tell me what
>>> wireles NICs I could get running without major effort?
>>

>> I don't know of a page that lists that off hand, but most chipsets are
>> supported.  There are a few that are problematic (primarily those based
>> on TI's chipset or Intersil radios).  ndiswrapper and a Windows driver
>> can be used to drive those.
>

> Maybe it's jsut my lack of knowledge, but I bought a D-Link card and
> wasn't able to get it going. Then again I cannot get the Broadcom chip
> in my laptop to work under Linux but it does work under Windows.
>
> I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong at the router end that might
> be making it hard for Linux.

First, are you certain that the driver loaded?  D-Link uses TI chips a
lot.  TI won't release the API so an open-source driver can't be
written.  In that case, you have to use something like ndiswrapper and
the Windows ".inf" file.  Ditto for the Broadcom chip.

I have a Broadcom BCM94306 chip in my laptop under FC1 and FC2.  I use
ndiswrapper and the Windows XP ".inf" file for it and it works fine.
I also use it for my D-Link DWL-650+ card PCMCIA card (TI chipset).

ndiswrapper is available at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net.
Appropriate ".inf" files should be on the CD or floppy that came with
your card.
-                Huked on foniks reely wurked for me!                -