Updating kernel source with yum, How?

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Fri Oct 8 05:21:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 04:00, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Could somebody please tell me what the keyword is to update the kernel
> > source using yum please. I have tried 'yum update kernel source', 'yum
> > update kernel-source' and 'yum update kernel-src' but with no luck.
> >
> > Yes, I know, dumb question time again... but please be kind.
>
> "yum update kernel-source" should work, but only if you have the
> kernel source installed in the first place.  Remember that "update" only
> updates packages you have installed.  If you must install it first, try
> "yum install kernel-source".

Hello Rick, many thanks. I used 'yum install kernel-source' and got the
response 'kernel-source already installed and the latest version' or
words to that effect. I know that the 2.6.8-1.521 source was not
installed when I upgraded the kernel because of the short time upgrading
to that version. I googled for the source and downloaded
kernel-2.6.8-1.521.src.rpm and 'installed' it (rpm -ivh
kernel-2.6.8-1.521.src.rpm). It installed in the blink of an eye and I
cannot find where it is. 'find / -name linux-2.6.8-1.521' comes up with
nothing.

The reason I wanted to install the source is to try and get alsa
working. Upgrading to the above kernel clobbered my sound so I thought
that moving to alsa would be the go.

Perhaps you can steer me in the right direction. As far as I understand
the alsa drivers are part of the 2.6 kernels. FC2 has alsa-utils-1.0.3
and alsa-libs-1.0.3 installed. How the heck do I get alsa working. My
sound is onboard 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller.
modprobe.conf has sndintel8x0 as the driver, which is correct but I
can't get sound working. Do I need to install alsa-driver-1.0.3? (I
tried but it won't compile) or is there some config file I need to set
up?

This is driving me nuts! I hope you can point me in the right direction.

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.