How to speed up my internet connection

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Oct 11 17:05:31 UTC 2004

Larrys Account wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is a little off topic, but I'm hoping someone might be able to tell
> me where I can find the information.
>
> I recently made an enquiry about setting up a printer on red hat 8 and
> e#was informed it would be advisable to upgrade to a later version,
> since redhat 8 had been deprecated. I decided to upgrade to fedora core
> 2 and started downloading the disks.
>
> I was a bit shocked to discover each disk (about 640M) is taking about
> 60 hours to download. By my calculations a 56k link should take about 26
> or 27 hours. I'm supposed to have a 300k link - which should (again by
> my calculations) take about 5 hours.
>
> I guess something is a bit wrong with my connection and I was wondering
> if anyone knew where I could go to get information about why it is so
> slow ? I'm running redhat 8 and have set up internet sharing on a small
> Man, so I guess this set up is causing it to go so slowly.
>
> Or are my estimates of expected download times simply way out ?

First, you neglected to say which kind of connection you have, DSL,
broadband, fractional T1, etc., so suggestions on speed up won't really
help.  You should try this URL to see what your actual speed is, and to
see if your ISP is fibbing to you:

	http://www.bandwidthplace.com

Your calculations are correct.  If you indeed have a 300Kbps link, each
disk should take 4.8 hours or there abouts.