Proper permanent setup of 1394 drivers

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Oct 11 22:41:16 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    Under FC2 what is the proper way to tell it to load the 1394
>> drivers at boot time? It seems that USB drivers are loaded in
>> /etc/modprobe using an alias command, but USB uses a single driver for
>> each controller. However the 1394 drivers require that I load 3
>> drivers (ieee1394, ohci1394 and sbp2) to get access to all of my
>> peripherals.
>> Where and how can I do this?
>

> In /etc/modprobe.conf (the replacement for /etc/modules.conf under
> 2.6 kernels).  The modules.dep file shows some dependencies, but not
> enough to satisfy your needs.  However, we can forcefeed the modules you
> want as follows:
>
> 1.  Create an "/etc/modules.special" file.  In it, put in the following
> lines:
>
>     /sbin/modprobe ohci1394
>     /sbin/modprobe ieee1394
>     /sbin/modprobe sbp2
>
> (you can optionally stuff a little ">/dev/null 2>&1" at the end of each
> line if you want any possible "already loaded" messages to go to the bit
> bucket).  Save the file and set as owner and group root, permissions
> 555:
>
>     chown root:root /etc/modules.special
>     chmod 555 /etc/modules.special
>
> 2. Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add these lines:
>
>     install ohci1394 /etc/modules.special
>     install ieee1394 /etc/modules.special
>     install sbp2 /etc/modules.special
>
> Now, whenever you try to "modprobe" any one of the three, the other two
> will also install.  Yes, it's butt ugly.  A more elegant solution would
> be to bugger the "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep" file, but that
> can be a dangerous thing to do if you're not careful.
>
> See "man modprobe", "man modprobe.conf", and "man modules.dep" for
> details on the above magic.

Rick,
    Thanks, but not working right so far:

1) When I booted none of the modules were actually loaded. Smallish
problem, but it would still require me to su to root and modprobe one of
the drivers, if problem 2 didn't exist...

2) modprobe sbp2 resulted in my console running away on me. The hard
drive when into 100% access. (visually anyway) Going to another console
and running top shown only top taking up CPU accesses. The only way out,
after a minute or two of this, was a power button push. Upon startign
again I'm greeted with 'system not shutdown cleanly' and a file system
check. Ctrl-D when it was done, a reboot, another file system check, and
then it booted.

Not a pretty sight!

The system is back up. Nothing in dmesg or /var/log/messages of any
obvious interest. Nothing in lost+found. (thankfully)

I think something is not quite right here.... ;-)

- Mark