RedHat 9 install cannot open root device and kernel panic

Allen, Catherine callen at skandia.de
Tue Oct 12 14:57:45 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have looked through the archives for this and have seen a similar question
asked for RH5 but not answered.

Goal:

Install RedHat 9 on HP DL380 G3 with 2 Logical drives (hardware RAID) which
are already configured.  First logical drive is just under 8GB, second is
around 80GB.  The DL380 already has Windows 2000 installed on the first
logical drive and I want to overwrite this.  Not dual-boot.  3GB memory.

Fail / Error Messages:

Creating block devices
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modproibe -s -k block-major-104, errno=2
VFS: Cannot open root device hda2 or 03:02
Kernel panic

What I've tried so far:

0. searched all redhat mailing lists ; then looked thread by thread through
the redhat-install-list but couldn't recognise an answer.

1. attempted to install from cdrom using "linux noprobe"
    It asked what hard disk I have, loaded the cciss driver and gave me the
option of /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 or /dev/cciss/c0d1p1
    chose /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
    then it could not find the CD in the drive.  Even though it had booted
from that same CD (installation cd 1 of 3 from the boxed set).

2. attemped to install from boot floppy using "linux noprobe"
    Failed with same message as above (can't open boot device hda2, kernel
panic)

3. attempted to install from boot floppy using "linux
root=/dev/cciss/c0d0p1"
    Failed with same message as above, except that hda2 was replaced by
cciss/c0d0p1

4. booted from HP smartstart CD - but this only supports Windows
installation (this is how windows was installed, I think)

I've run out of ideas, so I'm emailing to ask for help.

Thanks and Gruss/Regards/Cordialement/Saludos/Hälsningar;

C.Allen.