X display question

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Tue Oct 19 01:26:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 09:44:32AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> First, check your /var/log/XFree86.0.log (RHL or FC1) or
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log (FC2) to see what it says.  I'm guessing that the
> X hardware probe detects your Acer monitor and the odds are that you
> don't have a "Monitor" section in your config file that corresponds to
> it.  Therefore, the system reverts to 640x480.
>
> Try adding a "Monitor" section for the Acer.  The primary display should
> be in a "Monitor0" section, the Acer in "Monitor1".

Hello, sorry for the delay in continuing on with this, I was trying
to gather as much info as possible.

First of all, I have gone through the FC2 System Settings -> Display applet
and have explicitly defined my monitor as an AcerView 77e.  I have confirmed
in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf that there is an appropriate monitor defined:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Acer 77e"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 72.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
EndSection

The presence and/or absence of this section doesn't appear to change anything.

When I boot the laptop at the office, it is connected to a Sony G400 and it does
the appropriate thing.  At home, it still does not behave with the Acer.

In the Xorg.0.log, I've noticed that when connected to the Sony, the log reports:

(II) RADEON(0): Displays Detected: Monitor1--Type 2, Monitor2--Type 1

(II) RADEON(0): Monitor2 EDID data ---------------------------
(II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: SNY  Model: 290  Serial#: 8011257
(II) RADEON(0): Year: 2000  Week: 25
(II) RADEON(0): EDID Version: 1.2
[...]
(II) RADEON(0): End of Monitor2 EDID data --------------------
(II) RADEON(0):
(II) RADEON(0): Primary Display == Type 2
(II) RADEON(0): Clone Display == Type 1

...which tells me that it is detecting the Sony all by itself and
making appropriate assumptions.  Where as when it is connected ot the
Acer, I see:

(II) RADEON(0): Displays Detected: Monitor1--Type 2, Monitor2--Type 1

(II) RADEON(0):
(II) RADEON(0): Primary Display == Type 2
(II) RADEON(0): Clone Display == Type 1

...which tells me that either the Acer isn't detected at all, or it
is detected improperly.  However, I still don't know what to do about
it.  I'm starting to suspect that the config file is merely there for
my amusement and xorg is trying to auto-detect things at startup
rather than read the config file.

I have heard annecdotally (from a friend running Gentoo) that the
6.7.x release from xorg was known for this kind of problem with lots
of monitor types, and that 6.8.x handled it much better.  Does anyone
know if FC3 will have a better xorg release?

Thanks for any comments.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: