how create post-install boot floppy?

Corey Fong fongc at smccd.net
Wed Oct 20 20:39:42 UTC 2004

silly me ... see tail ...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corey Fong" <fongc at smccd.net>
To: "Getting started with Red Hat Linux" <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 10:54 AM
Subject: how create post-install boot floppy?

> At the tail end of an install, older install processes (e.g. 7.2) ask if
you
> want to create a boot floppy.  I've found these useful ... especially
since
> I've been installing on secondary IDE drives.
>
> RHEL v3 does not provide this option.  I assume that a boot floppy
> can still be created (manually).  Does anyone have a cookbook to
> create such a post-install boot floppy?
>
> Thanks,
> Corey
>
> P.S. Thoughts on why this feature has been dropped?

Just discovered mkbootdisk(8) ... which seems to be the exact script
that the older RH install processes invoked.

And found an alternative ... create GRUB boot disk ... which can
display the boot menu, allowing multiple boots ... and which is much
much faster than booting a kernel from floppy.

r, corey