Compaq Laptop Install Help

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 03:42:39 UTC 2004

I'm writing you from a Compaq R3070us. Great machine for me since last February.

You need to get at least FC2 for good performance. The chipset from
ATI wasn't supported until 2.6.3 I think. Sound is supported in Alsa
1.06. I don't remember if I had to patch the kernel for Alsa to get a
good mix, but basically I've been rolling my own kernels for this
machine since I got it. That said, the newest stable kernel (2.6.9)
has pretty much everything you'll need.

Cannot help with the modem. I've never used one under Linux.

Good luck and if you need help write back.

- Mark