WAS: Disk upgrade problem | NOW jumper ?

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 25 01:09:06 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 05:14:12AM -0700, Stephen W wrote:
> Bob McClure, Jr wrote:
>
> > BTW, _always_ use master and slave jumpering on the
> > drives.  "Cable Select" (CS) is unreliable at best
>  > and evil at worst.
>

> What kind of problems are there with cable select?  I
> have been running my HD so configured and not had any
> problems that "seem" to be so related.

I've always used master and slave jumpering, so I've not experienced
any problems with CS.  Googling for "cable select" and "evil" or
"sucks" turns up some interesting anecdotal evidence:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-November/msg05412.html
http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/newbie/2002-11/msg02246.php

Or you can toss a piece of meat to Rick Stevens and he will wax
vociferous on the subject.

> However, that may not be true.  I have not had boot
> problems (which is what I would expect).
>
> Maybe I should pull out my drives and jumper them?

Nah.  If it ain't broke ...  But at the first sign of trouble,
particularly after changing something, I would.

> Are the problems on older MD? (I am running a
> relatively new MB: ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe.)
>
> Thanks
>

> =====
> Stephen W