Port Forwarding

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Oct 28 23:06:06 UTC 2004

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm trying to get my son to access my home computer from school.
> I'm using a Linksys router and while he can ping the cable modem
> the port forwarding doesn't seem to be working.
>
> I've look at the instructions and the only thing I can see that I
> may not be doing right is the Ext. Port Range.  What range should
> I be putting in?  I am not seting up a Web Server (port 80) or an
> FTP server (port 21) I just want to give him access to my
> computer so he can get files from my machine to his (not
> necessarly FTP).  We are using RealVNC to connect between the two
> machines.

I'd set up sshd on your machine and give it a fixed IP in your
192.168.0.x range (don't get a DHCP from the router).  Then set up
port forwarding from the WAN's port 22 to port 22 on your private
IP address.

If you do that and you know your cable modem's IP, your son can ssh to
your box for text-based sessions and he can sftp the files securely.

If he wants a desktop enviroment, log in as him locally, then run "Xvnc"
to set up a second desktop.  Then, remotely, he can:

	vncviewer -via cable-modem-address cable-modem-address:1

to run VNC to display his desktop via the secured ssh tunnel.

That's what I have set up.  Works fine, lasts a long time.
-           Denial.  It ain't just a river in Egypt anymore!         -